Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum (the other one) (in pictures)

Did you know there are not one, but two Air and Space Museums? One is right smack dab in Smithsonian-ville (I really don't know all the names around here, but there's a nice stretch in DC which houses many if not all of the Smithsonians) and one is in Chantilly, VA, part of NOVA. We visited the one in Chantilly a few Saturdays (actually over a month) ago. It's official title is the National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.



So, before I venture into photos and descriptions, please forgive me one trait. That is, I am terribly awful at remembering facts, names, dates, details in general. So, if I call a plane one thing and it's another, or just vaguely refer to it as a fighter plane or something like that, bear with me. It's my blog and I DO WHAT I WANT. Okay, here we go into vague-referencing-of-air-and-space-vehicles, hurrah!

Outside the entrance

Outside the entrance part 2- the air tower which we did not visit. I'm told you can view passing airplanes from there.













So, I wondered how they got the Discovery all the way here from Florida. They ever-so-conveniently displayed a picture to give me the answer:






Satellites seem so.. artistic. That is real solid gold on the two circular 'arms'

Actually worn in space. Much to the interest of my eight-year-old boy, they also featured the outfitting piece used for bathrooming. 

Good ol' USPS celebrated the 30th anniversary of the release of Star Wars with this. WHERE CAN I GET ONE?

Check out the size of these launch consoles. Very retro-chic. 







Model of the moon-lander



Self-explanatory




(Obviously) a Nazi fighter plane.


Planes, planes, and more planes. All of them had plaques with interesting facts on their use, speeds, history, and more which I VERY CLEARLY cannot recall. 

Look at the size of this thing. I think I recall reading that either it flew at record speeds and/or was recently retired, can't remember (helpful, no?)

Looking from the back of the museum to the entrance, over the giant black stealth plane thingy (that is its actual scientific no-joke name). 

Artistic shot of juxtaposition of fighter plane and Dylan saying, "Give peace a chance" (with his fingers). 


This tour was more in the order or air-space-air museum, but you get the gist. And now I am going to apply for their tour-guide position. 

No comments:

Post a Comment