Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Playlist of the week- 10/22/12

Justin's back for this week's theme: songs that I hate, by the artists I love.

Even the greats have bad days.. or decades.  Here are the top three songs I can't stand by artists I love.

The Long And Winding Road by The Beatles


I know Paul McCartney is well known for being more mannered and sentimental than John Lennon, but this song takes it to levels unfit for The Beatles legacy.  This was recorded during the tense 'Let It Be' sessions where the band seemed tired of each other.  'Road' had a string section added by Phil Spector in the original release.  The version featured on 'Let It Be.. Naked' stripped away much of the arrangement and somehow made the song even less compelling.

Transformer Man (LP Version) by Neil Young

This one is laced with techno lameness (that was bad even for the 1980's) and featured heavily synthesized vocals. The entire album seems to have been a huge misfire for the man better known for his distorted guitar solos and country-tinged acoustic songs.  The thing that made this one stand out as even worse is that I get the sense there is a decent song there.  This was reaffirmed when I heard the Neil Young Unplugged version of the song.

Paradise by Coldplay

Coldplay is a great singles band with one masterpiece (Parachutes).  'Paradise' leaves me cold with the annoying repeating 'P' word hook that seems to come up a lot in pop music right now- case in point: Para para paradise vs. papa papa paparazzi. 


I noticed Justin did not mention any of Bob Dylan's 'born-again'-phase albums, he is wise in that disrespecting Bob Dylan is seen as blasphemy in this household. We just don't mention the 1980's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment